The Fairmount Water Works in the Fairmount Park — on the east bank of the Schuylkill River, between historic Boathouse Row and the Philadelphia Museum of Art — was Philadelphia’s second municipal waterworks. Designed in 1812 by Frederick Graff and built between 1812 and 1872, it operated until 1909, winning praise for its design and becoming a popular tourist attraction.
It now houses an interpretive center that explains the waterworks’ purpose and local watershed history. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Check out events at the Fairmount Water Works!